Friday, February 15, 2019

Winter Holy Grail

Winter is almost over and I am sO excited to say goodbye to the long nights and constantly wearing a minimum of 3 layers. Can't wait for spring, definitely plan to spend way more time outdoors in the sun, instead of huddled in our house hiding from the cold.  Living near the coast of Scotland these past few years has given me some handy tips to prep for the cooler temperatures. Seasonal depression that comes hand in hand with the colder months is tough but these few bits make it a little bit easier to pull through.

Starting with the sort of skincare bits, I feel like it's a bit of a given, but you cannot leave home without lip balm. My favourite is Palmer's cocoa butter lip balm, since I've found this gem a few years ago, I haven't tried anything else. I know, I'm suuuuch an adventurous gal. It's the only lip balm i've found that actually moisturises and actively repairs my chapped lips. The past balms usually form a nice layer of protection on my lips which helps against the wind and cold but it doesn't actually get absorbed in the skin and hydrate it. On the topic of moisturising, Cetaphil moisturiser was a godsend for me last winter. Recommended by my flatmate it helped my skin so much in such a quick time. I was previously using a simple moisturises which worked well before but suddenly did nothing for me last winter, I truly believe there's some sorta science behind that like your body getting used to a certain formula and then it not having an effect after a while?? Anyways, I have dry skin and was complaining about dry patches and my flatmate lent me some of her moisturiser to use and I noticed such a big difference in the morning. My skin didn't feel so tight anymore and the patches had definitely ameliorated so I immediately purchased a large bottle (which has lasted me a year now might I add - though I do switch back to Simple in the summer for a lighter moisturiser).
On to makeup, two words: Waterproof. Mascara.
I am a crier, intentionally and unintentionally. By that, I mean yes I like a good cry or two but only at particularly sad films (ok fine, that's a lie. How To Train Your Dragon made me cry, honestly I'm trying to get a grip, promise) bUT also I cry when I don't want/need to. I just have really watery eyes such that a good joke makes me laugh till I tear up, hence, produces an awkward pause in the round of laughter as everyone tries to deduce if I'm actually upset by the joke or just a nut case. Usually, it's the latter. Also, the wind is my literal enemy. I leave my house in high spirits only to reach my lecture with my hair hovering 2 inches from my head, my fringe blinding me and my eyes stinging due to the cold, sharp breeze and producing streaks of tears down my face which would be a lot more scarier without waterproof mascara. Am also gonna blame the wind for the fact sit alone in my 9am lecture because the tear streaks and tornado hair doesn't quite make for a sane, friendly look I guess. Maybelline Lash Sensational is still my current fav, just do yourself a favour and get the waterproof version.

Cozy knits and a puffer jacket is an indestructible combo. I think during winter my fashion sense becomes the most bland because I'm more concerned about warmth than well, actually looking good. However, a cute thick knitted jumper and a pair or skinny jeans is an effortless, good look for day-to-day class. Paired with my black Bershka puffer jacket and ankle boots, am a warm toasty walking marshmallow. I can't find my exact jacket but this is pretty much it except mine came with a detachable hood which is incredibly, and I stress incredibly convenient. Especially if you live in Scotland. Where it randomly rains right after a hair wash day. Gotta love it!

Random bits that you need to survive and reappear in summer with all your fingers and toes intact include fuzzy socks (my feet always get the coldest so am never without some, also they're cute hello), fluffy dressing gown (same as the last reason except after my feet gets cold, the rest of my body does too). Also makes for good loungewear when you're doing your makeup or just living really, an electric blanket (can't explain the bliss it is to slip into bed when it's been heated up and all warm and cozy, honestly such relaxed, much recommend. 10/10 you will have the best sleep) and last but not least, my main holy grail, green tea. I have a mug every morning without fail and just throughout the day really, so refreshing, warming and healthy. It's incredibly good for you and doesn't stain your teeth so why not switch out your regular ol' English breakfast tea for this Japanese goodness. My flatmates will deny my influence but am definitely claiming victory for turning them into green tea converts. All I'm saying is, when we all moved in together, I was the only one sipping my green tea minding my business, obviously kindly sharing my stash when asked and by the next semester, 3/4 had their own box in the cupboards. Coincidence? I think not.

Hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas and New Year and is ready to kick 2019's ass!!

talk soon xx

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited that the days would be getting warmer soon and swatching cherry blossoms!!!

    100% agree on lip balm being an essential in winter. I'm too lazy to apply lip balm and my lips would get all dry and chapped lol

    nurulrasya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It deffo started as a hassle but now I can't leave the house without lip balm!

      Delete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments. I try to reply as soon as I can to all of them. Feel free to leave your blog links, I love checking them out :)