Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Author feature: Alexandra Potter


I love a good, thick book.
My motto used to be the thicker the better (though this seems to be the current motto for every girl on insta too) because well logically, I was getting the most for my money. I'd spend a longer time enjoying the book and reading its content hence, I wouldn't need to buy a new book too soon. I'm a pretty fast reader so unlike my sister, a book with a couple hundred pages excited me, rather than made me wanna bury my head in my palms for the foreseeable future.

However, sometimes it's a different story, especially in the summer. With the sun looking so inviting, I usually fancy reading outside but while the air is fresher and the sun keeps you warm and toasty, distractions are inevitable. I don't mind it to be fair, there's always going to be people about, laughter, conversations, music, even maybe traffic just seeping into your consciousness. It comes with the territory doesn't it and I love it, the bustle outdoors makes it feel like summer all the more. This is usually why I prefer picking light, easy breezy, summer reads to bring along. Something that doesn't require my full concentration and isn't too heavy to absorb. I want a relaxing time not a headache. Usually, I tend to grab Romance/Chick flick reads to be specific (because who doesn't love a good light hearted romcom??). 
This leads me to one of my favourite authors for the romcom category; Alexandra Potter.
It's rare I adore an author's work so much so that I end up buying every book she's written, except I've done just that with her (& Cecelia Ahern but she'll get her own feature post soon). The thing that makes these 2 authors claim the top 2 spots in my favourite romance author category is because they don't just write about romance, there's always a twist. Magic, if you will. And by that I don't mean complete fantasy-based novel, I just mean that there is usually always something out of the ordinary that their characters' experience that would never happen in reality.... which ultimately leads them to finding the love of their lives yaddi yaddi yah. BUT, that's the main bit to focus on here is that they give you an extraordinary romance story. 

Alexandra is a lot more of a light hearted read, her characters are usually quirky, humorous, "relatable" females that are just tryna make it through life really. While their storylines are most definitely different, her style of writing sort of reminds me of Sophie Kinsella in a way. I like the ideas she comes up for her plots, it's always exciting to await what other twists is she going to think of for the next book. She's not a very well-known author I think, compared to Sophie Kinsella anyways but her books perfectly fit the summer beach read category for me. 

Out of the 12 books she's published, I've read the 9 books listed below;
  1. Me and Mr Darcy
  2. Be Careful What You Wish For
  3. Calling Romeo
  4. Don't Your Forget About Me
  5. You're the One That I Don't One
  6. Do You Come Here Often?
  7. Who's That Girl? 
  8. Going La La
My favourites so far have got to be Who's That Girl? (What happens if you could go back in time and meet your younger self?), Be Careful What You Wish For (When you're constantly wishing for things, big and small, what happens when they all start coming true?) and Me and Mr Darcy (what happens when  you walk into a room and come face to face with Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice?). They're all very different stories but all equally thoroughly enjoyable reads. I've just finished reading the ninth book of hers called What's New Pussycat? and while it's not my favourite of hers, it's a pretty light-hearted and easy summer romance for anyone looking.

Let me know if you've ever read one of Alexandra's books!

Talk soon xx

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that I saw this post. It is informative blog for us and we need this type of blog thanks for share this blog, Keep posting such instructional blogs and I am looking forward for your future posts. Parasailing Vilamoura Marina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog aware me about different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids. Few websites provide combined courses and few of the are separately for single subject. Glad to get this information. Parasailing Vilamoura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments. I try to reply as soon as I can to all of them. Feel free to leave your blog links, I love checking them out :)