Saturday, June 15, 2019

Parklife 2019

Right, I'm pretty new to the festival scene I'd say. I went to my first festival last year; Good Vibes Festival in KL and since I couldn't make it to GVF this year, when my pal said "we're going to parklike" I went "ok". I didn't think it would be too different but boyyyyy was I wrong. My outfit was very much in sync with last years trend of stars I'll say. The trousers and earrings were from nasty gal, the "bralette" (which is really just a bikini top) is from H&M and the mesh top from Shein. For my accessories, I wore a chunky gold necklace and white chunky platform sneakers from Asos and my sunnies from Urban. RIP my cute white shoes is all I have to say.

I was really excited for two acts in particular; Lauv & Khalid. I've been listening to Lauv for years and they especially bring back the "good" memories of my first year of uni, me sitting alone on the bus with The Other and I Like Me Better blasting in my ears, adding to my forlorn mood as I leave the library at 2am again during exam season. Basically, Lauv is a staple in my chill playlist and I couldn't wait to see him live. Khalid's in the same playlist and let's be real, he's amazing so I knew he'd be great to watch perform. The weekend tickets were sold out when we randomly decided to go so we got a Sunday ticket which meant, we got to see Migos, Stefflon Don, Pusha-T, George ezra (!!) etc. 

I don't think Parklike was off to a great start for us. Firstly, they kept switching and changing the entrance gates meaning we wasted so much time walking from one end to the other of Heaton park. This on top of just me being my usual late self meant I missed Lauv's performance. It was so depressing because speed walking to the other entrance I could hear his set and my favourite songs come on but I could see nothing through the trees and fences. Literally, the epitome of so close yet so far.  Also, it was pretty sunny when we arrived but within an hour that all changed. The wind picked up, the skies broke loose with heavy rain and it was pretty miserable considering neither of us were prepped for freezing, wet weather. Also, our daft selves both wore sparkling white sneakers to a muddy festival, I know we're rookies to the UK festival scene. Anyways, after dragging our mud-caked selves through the fields, we manage to find shelter under this tiny tent and decided the only way to flip our mood was with alcohol. It helped a lot. Next thing you know, we were hopping to the main stage and dancing in the rain to Khalid, having such a blast. I also was lifted onto some random guy's shoulders to watch one of his songs and it was brilliant! For a girl at 5ft3, having the height advantage at a concert doesn't come by easily yet suddenly I was climbing onto this lovely dude's shoulders and singing to "Better" with direct view of Khalid. Thanks pal (whoever you are), that was so kind of you, much appreciate it! 

We caught Stefflon don and Migos on one of the other stages which were such fun performances too and ended the night with good ol' George Ezra. His set was amazing, the feel-good vibes from his songs were like multiple ten-fold. The crowd was massive as well considering he was the last performance of the festival, we realised we were luckily pretty close to the stage when you caught a birds eye view of the thousands of people gathered to watch him. I didn't realise how deep even just his speaking voice is, that coupled with the fact he looks similiar to my boyfriend made me fancy him so much.

All I'm gonna say is, if you're thinking of going to Parklike next year;
  1. Wear nothing but wellies (I know this is pretty obvious but literally no other footwear. You can get cute insta pics from the waist up).
  2. Sun glasses are useless.
  3. Raincoats are handy.
  4. Pre-book an uber or taxi home to avoid 1-2 hours wait.
  5. Load up on alcohol my ladies and gents. (responsibly of course!)
All in all, it was a pretty amazing day. It felt like so much happened in 48 hours. Waking up at 6am to catch the 7am train to manchester, trying to apply my makeup on the train and failing miserably, traipsing our way through manchester to our hotel and the festival then battling the traffic home when it was over and catching the train back to Edinburgh the next afternoon. It was exhausting but I don't doubt I'll only manage to keep up with these sorta adventures in my twenties so I wouldn't trade them for the world. Am already so excited for my next gig, forgot how much I missed the concert life.

Talk soon xx

1 comment:

  1. I went to Parklife 2 years ago and couldn't agree more, it is exhausting! The weather was terrible for us too so wellies were definitely a good idea. I remember spending SO much money on travel, food, drink, accommodation, it was such an expensive weekend! Glad you still had fun, love your outfit! x

    Evie x | www.eviejayne.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments. I try to reply as soon as I can to all of them. Feel free to leave your blog links, I love checking them out :)